Re: Need setup help for Postgresql 8.1.3 on Solaris 10

От Gellert, Andre
Тема Re: Need setup help for Postgresql 8.1.3 on Solaris 10
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello Richard,

> > I decreased the import time from >40 minutes to 32 minutes with changing the parameters to:
> >
> > shared_buffers = 450000  # kept same
> > temp_buffers = 100000    # kept same
> >
> > work_mem =     32768                # now 32mb , before: 102400 = 100mb
> > maintenance_work_mem =  2048000 # now 2.048mb, before: 32768 = 32mb
> >
> > Should I encrease these parameters?
>
> Nothing that should cause these problems.
>
> Anything unusual about your installation? Any oddities from ./configure
> or similar?

I've got no news regarding my installation problems, but I had to reduce the maintenance_work_mem to 256mb, as vacuumdb
hadthis error:

vacuumdb: vacuuming of database "adp_trtr" failed: ERROR: invalid memory alloc request size 2097151998
( 2.GB was a bit to large, I guess ;-) )

But this shouldn't cause my problems, as you say.
The installation is a standard solaris postgresql package - my admins say, I've got no priviledges to check this,
furtheron , of course, I have no chance to recompile it, but at the moment it seems to be good to think about compiling
thelatest PG from sources ( http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/install-procedure.html ).

My system admins contacted the company from which we lent the system , to get more information, so I am waiting for
this.

Maybe the other alternative, RHEL + Postgres8.2.1 (off. RPMs for 64bit) is a good way to go.

Thanks so long,
Andre