Re: Unicode + LC_COLLATE

От Priem, Alexander
Тема Re: Unicode + LC_COLLATE
Дата
Re: Unicode + LC_COLLATE  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-general
> C locale basically means "sort by the byte sequence values".  It'll do
> something self-consistent, but maybe not what you'd like for UTF8
> characters.
>
> Does that sort rationally at all?  I should think you'd need to specify
> an LC_COLLATE setting that's designed for UTF8 encoding, not 8859-15.
>
> If you only ever store characters that are in 7-bit ASCII then none of
> this will affect you, and you can get away with broken combinations of
> encoding and locale.  But if you'd like to sort characters outside the
> minimal ASCII set then you need to get it right ...

But if you use anything other than C, you can't use indexes in Like-clauses,
right?

Would lc-collate=C be bad in combination with UNICODE encoding? What
lc-collate setting would you recommend for UNICODE encoding which will
provide good sorting for all (most) common languages? (dutch, english,
french, german)

Alexander Priem