Re: Predefined role pg_maintenance for VACUUM, ANALYZE, CHECKPOINT.

От Bossart, Nathan
Тема Re: Predefined role pg_maintenance for VACUUM, ANALYZE, CHECKPOINT.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 11/2/21, 11:27 AM, "Stephen Frost" <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> * Bossart, Nathan (bossartn@amazon.com) wrote:
>> The approach in the patch looks alright to me, but another one could
>> be to build a SelectStmt when parsing CHECKPOINT.  I think that'd
>> simplify the standard_ProcessUtility() changes.
>
> For my 2c, at least, I'm not really partial to either approach, though
> I'd want to see what error messages end up looking like.  Seems like we
> might want to exercise a bit more control than we'd be able to if we
> transformed it directly into a SelectStmt (that is, we might add a HINT:
> roles with execute rights on pg_checkpoint() can run this command, or
> something; maybe not too tho).

I don't feel strongly one way or the other as well, but you have a
good point about extra control over the error messages.  The latest
patch just does a standard aclcheck_error(), so you'd probably see
"permission denied for function" if you didn't have privileges for
CHECKPOINT.  That could be confusing.

Nathan