Re: Reporting hba lines

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Reporting hba lines
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> cases where people are modifying the wrong hba file. �Can we show
>> the source text of the hba line?

> We don't currently keep the full source text around - but we certainly
> could do that if we wanted to.

If we're concerned about providing a message like this, I think it'd be
well worthwhile.  We presumably would only store the active lines not
comment lines, so the extra memory space would be negligible in just
about any real use-case.

> I'm not sure how much it helps - usually, you're going to end up on a
> line that's completely irrelevant if you get the wrong hba file (e.g.
> a comment or a line that's not even in the file at all due to size).

Only if you count accurately, and aren't fooled into miscounting by the
expectation that you must arrive on a non-comment line.  I don't buy the
"the editor can do it for you" argument either, at least not since
noticing that recent versions of emacs don't count lines the way I do.