Re: when the startup process doesn't (logging startup delays)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: when the startup process doesn't (logging startup delays)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 2021-Sep-29, Robert Haas wrote:
>> Well, this was my suggestion, because if you don't do this, you get
>> drift, which I think looks weird. Like the timestamps will be:
>>
>> 13:41:05.012456
>> 13:41:15.072484
>> 13:41:25.149632
>>
>> ...and it gets further and further off as it goes on.'

> Right ... I actually *expect* this drift to occur.  Maybe people
> generally don't like this, it just seems natural to me.  Are there other
> opinions on this aspect?

FWIW, I agree with Robert that it's nicer if the timeout doesn't drift.
There's a limit to how much complexity I'm willing to tolerate for that,
but it doesn't seem like this exceeds it.

The real comment I'd have here, though, is that writing one-off
code for this purpose is bad.  If we have a need for a repetitive
timeout, it'd be better to add the feature to timeout.c explicitly.
That would probably also remove the need for extra copies of the
timeout time.

Сообщение: Re: [BUG] failed assertion in EnsurePortalSnapshotExists()
Сообщение: Re: [BUG] failed assertion in EnsurePortalSnapshotExists()