Re: Server-side support of all encodings

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Server-side support of all encodings
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> writes:
> BTW, do we have to modify pg_dump or pg_restore so that it can
> automatically adjust JOHAB to UTF8 (it's the only safe encoding
> compatible with JOHAB)? I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. Maybe
> documenting in the release note is enough?

Do we actually need to do anything?  Dumps taken in client_encoding
JOHAB could exist regardless of the source server_encoding --- the
same is true of other client-only encodings.  Such dumps should load
fine into a UTF8 server_encoding database, as long as we have the right
conversion available.

I can imagine someone wanting to take a dump in a client-only encoding
for other reasons (export of the data to somewhere else, say) so I don't
think pg_dump should try to prevent it.