Re: Joins of data-modifying CTE with the target table

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Joins of data-modifying CTE with the target table
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Alex Bolenok <quassnoi@gmail.com> writes:
> To answer your question, by "explicitly" I mean mentioning this very
> pattern, where you join the returned id with the target table.

I do not see why this existing example isn't sufficient:

    ... An example of this is that in

    WITH t AS (
        UPDATE products SET price = price * 1.05
        RETURNING *
    )
    SELECT * FROM products;

    the outer SELECT would return the original prices before the action of
    the UPDATE, ...

Yeah, it lacks a JOIN and it's an UPDATE not an INSERT.  But we can't
provide an example to precisely match every possible mistake.  As
Adrian said, brevity in the docs does have value.