Re: Query plan question, and a memory leak

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Query plan question, and a memory leak
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> I wouldn't expect it to actually take any more time. In fact I would expect it
> to take a lot less time since it takes time to handle the resulting data too.

You're mistaking planner estimate time for reality ;-).

IIRC, the planner doesn't bother to account for evaluation time of
select-list values in its estimates.  At least in simple cases, there's
no point in doing that math because the cost will be the same no matter
what plan is chosen.