Re: PG 7.3 is five years old today

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PG 7.3 is five years old today
Дата
Re: PG 7.3 is five years old today  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> Whether there's any need to support the old protocol in the server depends on
> whether there are any clients out there which use it which is harder to
> determine and not affected by whether Postgres 7.3 is still around.

Right.  There's really not much to be gained by dropping it on the
server side anyway.  libpq might possibly be simplified by a useful
amount, but on the other hand we probably want to keep its current
structure for the inevitable v4 protocol.

Another area where we might think about dropping some stuff is pg_dump.
If we got rid of the requirement to support dumps from pre-7.3 servers
then it could assume server-side dependencies exist, and lose all the
code for trying to behave sanely without 'em.