Re: [ltree] Should `SELECT LCA('1.2', '1.2.3');` return '1.2' instead of '1'?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [ltree] Should `SELECT LCA('1.2', '1.2.3');` return '1.2' instead of '1'?
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
> On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 8:32 AM, Julien Grillot <julien.grillot@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> So, in my understanding, both SELECT LCA('1.2', '1.2'); and SELECT
>> LCA('1.2', '1.2.3'); should return ‘1.2’. What do you think about it?

> If indeed one defines "each node to be a descendant of itself" then you
> are correct.  Unfortunately your example indicates that this implementation
> does not define ancestry that way.  While you may not agree with the
> definition at this point changing the existing function's behavior in this
> manner seems highly undesirable - too much existing code would silently
> break.  Adding a leading (due to varargs) boolean argument that specifies
> "end node is ancestor of itself" behavior might be a workable solution.

> Regardless, the docs should be clarified on this point, though, and maybe
> add a code comment somewhere.

This came up again today; I've now adjusted the docs to reflect reality.

If we were to do something about the lack of a function that behaves
the other way, I'd suggest calling it lcp() for "longest common prefix".
Trying to deal with it with an optional argument is going to create
overloading problems.