Re: PostgreSQL 8.2 Bug in casting varchar to int in SELECT ... WHERE IN ( ... )

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 8.2 Bug in casting varchar to int in SELECT ... WHERE IN ( ... )
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
"Dawid Kuroczko" <qnex42@gmail.com> writes:
> What troubles me here is that surprise factor is unusally high here.
> While I understand mechanics why IN (1) works while IN (1,2) does not,
> I think random developers are going to be confused.

If you're not testing against 8.3 then this argument doesn't carry much
weight.  8.3 will reject *both* cases in the examples you've mentioned.

> PS: I wonder why explicitly using IN (ARRAY[...]) works.

Um, it does not work AFAICS:

regression=# select 'foo'::varchar in (array[1,2,3]);
ERROR:  operator does not exist: character varying = integer[]
LINE 1: select 'foo'::varchar in (array[1,2,3]);
                              ^
HINT:  No operator matches the given name and argument type(s). You may need to add explicit type casts.