Re: Asking for assistance in determining storage requirements

От Vick Khera
Тема Re: Asking for assistance in determining storage requirements
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 11:15 AM, Chris
Barnes<compuguruchrisbarnes@hotmail.com> wrote:
> We are curious about using SAN with fiber channel hba and if anyone else
> uses this technology.
>
> We would also like to know if people have preference to the level of raid
> with/out striping.

I used SurfRAID Triton external RAID units connected to Sun X4100
boxes via LSI Fibre Channel cards.  I run them as RAID6 plus hot spare
with a total of 16 drives.  This is extremely fast and provides for up
to 2 disk failure.  The key is to have 1 or 2 gigs of cache on the
RAID units.  I also crank up the RAM on the servers to at least 20Gb.