Re: More Time Zone fun

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: More Time Zone fun
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Naz Gassiep <naz@mira.net> writes:
> ERROR: time zone "Asia/Riyadh87" appears to use leap seconds DETAIL:
> PostgreSQL does not support leap seconds.

> Surely it's a bug to have timezones in the list that result in errors
> being thrown?

Perhaps, but weren't you the person complaining about how slow that view
is to read?  If we actually opened each tzinfo file and looked for
leap-second data, it would likely be 10x to 100x slower yet.

> Also, is there a reason that PostgreSQL does not support
> leap seconds?

timestamp/interval arithmetic would be completely unworkable
... especially for future dates where the occurrence of leap seconds
cannot be predicted.

Some googling suggests that the whole concept of leap seconds is falling
out of favor with the people in charge of such things --- it's just as
bad as trying to predict what the politicians will do to daylight
savings time next year :-(