Re: roundoff problem in time datatype

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: roundoff problem in time datatype
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jochem van Dieten <jochemd@gmail.com> writes:
> On 9/26/05, Dennis Bjorklund wrote:
>> One reason is because it's what the standard demand.

> Could you cite that? The only thing I can find in the SQL standard is
> that the hour field in an INTERVAL can not exceed 23, not datetimes.

SQL99 has
        _____________Table_11-Valid_values_for_datetime_fields_____________
        _Keyword____________Valid_values_of_datetime_fields________________
       | YEAR             | 0001 to 9999                                  |       |                  |
                            |       | MONTH            | 01 to 12                                      |       |
         |                                               |       | DAY              | Within the range 1 (one) to 31,
butfurther   |                            constrained by the value of MONTH and YEAR                            fields,
accordingto the rules for well-                            formed dates in the Gregorian calendar.

       | HOUR             | 00 to 23                                      |       |                  |
                            |       | MINUTE           | 00 to 59                                      |       |
         |                                               |       | SECOND           | 00 to 61.9(N) where "9(N)"
indicates         |                            the number of digits specified by <time
fractionalseconds precision>.

       | TIMEZONE_HOUR    | -12 to 13                                     |       |                  |
                            |       |_TIMEZONE_MINUTE__|_-59_to_59_____________________________________|       |
         |                                               |           NOTE 62 - Datetime data types will allow dates in
theGregorian           format to be stored in the date range 0001-01-01 CE through           9999-12-31 CE. The range
forSECOND allows for as many as two           "leap seconds". Interval arithmetic that involves leap seconds
ordiscontinuities in calendars will produce implementation-           defined results.

The urban legend about needing 2 leap seconds in the same minute has
infected the standard I see.  It should only allow 60.9999 as the max
value for SECOND.

Note however that we feel free to exceed the spec in other aspects of
this --- we exceed their year range for instance.  So I don't think we
necessarily have to reject '24:00:00'.

Also, the spec explicitly states that arithmetic on TIME values is done
modulo 24 hours.  So it's correct for '23:59:59'::time + '1 second'::interval
to yield '00:00:00', but this does not necessarily mean that we should
cause rounding to behave that way.  Depends whether you think that
rounding is an arithmetic operation or not ...

От: Gaetano Mendola
Сообщение: Re: Vacuum questions...
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: roundoff problem in time datatype