Re: Before I call it a bug - some comments and questions

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Before I call it a bug - some comments and questions
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Michael Felt <mamfelt@gmail.com> writes:
> -- As I build, generally, as root - this failed because initdb does not want
> to run as root

Many people regard that as bad practice ...

> --- why is the initial make installing/copying anything outside of the
> project directory (in this case it was /usr/local/pgsql if I recall
> correctly).

Because that's the default installation prefix.

> 3. A question: what is the best way to get the make process to install in a
> alturnate directory. Some projects use an environment variable.

configure --prefix=/some/path

> 4. Minor point: why is /usr/local/include not in the -I list by default?

That would be something to ask your compiler vendor.  It's no business
of postgres' to assume that some non-default -I switches are
appropriate.  I believe that gcc is very often configured to include
/usr/local in its default -I path, but that's up to local custom.