Re: FW: [CYGWIN] 7.2b3 postmaster doesn't start on Win98

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: FW: [CYGWIN] 7.2b3 postmaster doesn't start on Win98
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane writes:
>> Unless someone can think of a reasonable runtime check to distinguish
>> win98 from newer systems, I think we have little choice but to make the
>> data directory permissions check be #ifndef __CYGWIN__.

> I don't think so.  We've never claimed to support Cygwin on Windows
> 95/98/ME, but we've reasonably supported Cygwin on Windows NT/2000 and we
> shouldn't break that to support some other system.

Not applying a data directory permissions check doesn't quite rise to
the level of "breaking it", I think, unless you want to argue that 7.1
and before were all broken because they didn't have the check.  Note
also Dave Page's complaint about ntsec, and the observation that
availability of Unixy file permissions depends on the filesystem type
even under more recent Windowsen.  So we've got some issues here even
on the recent ones.

It's my feeling that the better part of engineering judgment is to
disable the check for the moment.  It seems too risky to leave it in,
and I don't want to postpone the release while we think of a better
answer.