Re: BUG #7559: syslogger doesn't close stdout and stderr

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: BUG #7559: syslogger doesn't close stdout and stderr
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
reinhard@m4x.de writes:
> When initially starting up, syslogger keeps stdout and stderr open instead
> of closing them and reopening them from /dev/null for proper daemonisation.

How exactly could it "close and reopen" them without losing their
identity?  And what makes /dev/null necessarily the right substitute?

I don't think we should change this within Postgres.  We removed logic
associated with daemonization altogether in 9.2 --- it's the
responsibility of the calling script to close any files it doesn't want
left open.