Re: Assuming that TAS() will succeed the first time is verboten

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Assuming that TAS() will succeed the first time is verboten
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> After changing the checkpoint code to loop, rather than assuming TAS()
>> must succeed the first time, I noticed that it always looped exactly
>> once.  This didn't make sense to me at the time, but after querying some
>> Alpha experts at DEC^H^H^HCompaq, it does now.  If a new process's first
>> write to a shared memory page is a stq_c, that stq_c is guaranteed to
>> fail (at least on Tru64 Unix), because it will page fault.  The shared
>> memory page is inherited read-only and is converted to read-write on
>> first fault.  This doesn't seem really necessary, but I suppose it's
>> done to share code with the copy-on-write case for non-shared pages
>> that are inherited via fork().

> This seems quite bizarre.  Why would the process fail on the write, and
> not just pause and wait for the fault to bring in the page?

An ordinary write would be re-executed and would succeed after the
page fault.  stq_c is different, because it's only supposed to succeed
if the processor has managed to hold an access lock on the target
address continuously since the ldq_l.  It would be very bad form to try
to hold the lock during a page fault.  (stq_c will also fail if the
processor is interrupted between ldq_l and stq_c, so occasional failures
are to be expected.  What was surprising me was the consistency of the
failure pattern.)

See the Alpha Architecture Manual if you really want to discuss this.

Сообщение: Re: Assuming that TAS() will succeed the first time is verboten
Сообщение: Re: Assuming that TAS() will succeed the first time is verboten