Re: Functions in Postgres

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Functions in Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Jan Wieck <janwieck@yahoo.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Not since about Tcl 8.0.

>     You're right, not Tcl's fault. Noone changed PL/Tcl to use it
>     though. It  still  does  Tcl_CreateCommand(),  which  is  the
>     backward   compatibility   pure   string  interface  wrapping
>     technology. :-)

I could be mistaken, but I thought Tcl would still reduce the function
text to bytecode behind-the-scenes.

We are losing with unnecessary text conversions in a number of places in
pltcl, but I think it's just in parameter passing at pltcl function
entry/exit and calls to the special Tcl commands provided by pltcl.
If you're executing regular Tcl commands inside a pltcl function,
I think you still will get benefit from Tcl 8's speedups.
        regards, tom lane