Re: UNION ALL has higher cost than inheritance

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: UNION ALL has higher cost than inheritance
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> But this all looks like a pretty substantial amount of work, and
>> given the low level of user demand for improving the performance of
>> set operations, it seems to belong fairly far down the to-do list.
>> So I'm not going to tackle it now. �Barring objection, I'll clean up
>> yesterday's patch a bit more and commit it.

> I agree.  If we had infinite resources it would be nice to tackle
> this, but I think we have bigger fish to fry.  In particular, I wonder
> if you've thought any more about the generalized inner-indexscan
> machinery, or taken a look at any of the issues around KNNGIST.  I'd
> like to see our limited supply of planner-fu invested in those areas,
> or perhaps in making inner join removal work.

The two top things on my to-do list for 9.1 are the generalized
inner-indexscan stuff and automatic replans for parameterized queries.
I had been hoping to finish one or the other before the next commitfest,
though time is draining away rapidly.

I'll try to look at KNNGIST during the fest.