Re: BUG #15025: PSQL CLI - inconsistency when both -d and -U supplies a username

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: BUG #15025: PSQL CLI - inconsistency when both -d and -U supplies a username
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
>     psql -d "postgresql://user2@momjian.us/test" -U user1
> -->    Password for user user1:
> but it wants the user2 password.

> It doesn't matter whether -U is first or last, it always prompts for the
> -U user, but connects as the -d user.

Bleah.

> Because the URI is parsed by libpq, I don't think we can do any better
> than just suppress the user name in the password prompt when a URI is
> used.

That doesn't seem very user-friendly at all.  I think that the most
correct behavior in this case would be to throw an error because of the
conflicting command line parameters.  Now admittedly, psql doesn't throw
an error for

    psql -U alice -U bob

so maybe just silently making a choice is OK, but we need to be clear
as to which choice we made.  Isn't it possible to get the URI parse
results back out of libpq?