Re: DISTINCT vs. GROUP BY

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: DISTINCT vs. GROUP BY
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> DISTINCT is really just special a case of GROUP BY. Even DISTINCT ON is just
> GROUP BY with a kind of "first()" aggregate function. What would be really
> neat would be to teach GROUP BY about first() and last() and how it can skip
> over some index entries and still satisfy the query. Then make DISTINCT and
> DISTINCT ON be handled through the exact same code path.

You've missed the point entirely.

first() is not a substitute for sorting the input; it is only useful
if the input comes pre-sorted.  And if you are going to sort the input,
you might as well use the current implementation of DISTINCT ON and
skip the effort and memory-overflow-risk associated with a hashtable.

I do think hash aggregation is a plausible alternative implementation of
plain DISTINCT, but I don't see the case for using it for DISTINCT ON.