Re: Geographical redundancy

От Dennis
Тема Re: Geographical redundancy
Дата
Re: Geographical redundancy  (Ben <bench@silentmedia.com>)
Список pgsql-general
I was thinking of maybe just having 2nd location receive a PG dump (full or incremental) every so often (an hour to 6 hours) and if the main location fails majorly, restore the PG cluster from the dump and switch DNS settings on the actual sites. I can make sure all website files are always in sync on both locations.

Ben <bench@silentmedia.com> wrote:
If you're sure that data loss is unacceptable no matter what happens
to either site, then I'm not aware of too many options. As I
understand it, pgpool can be configured to send data-altering queries
to multiple servers in order to simulate a multi-master cluster, but
it's never been clear to me how this works if you use any non-
deterministic functions like random(). I'm not aware of any other
multi-master synchronous replication solution.

The only option I can think of (and it's ugly so hopefully somebody
could suggest something more elegant) would be to make postgres sit
on top of something like DRBD, so that both sites can stay in sync
with every write to disk. Then pick a site at which to run your
database, having your application at both sites connect to the active
server. In case of a problem, start up postgres at the other site and
have your app reconnect.

This will be slow. It will eat up your bandwidth. It will add
complexity. But it won't loose data.