Re: Postgresql "FIFO" Tables, How-To ?

От Kirill Ponazdyr
Тема Re: Postgresql "FIFO" Tables, How-To ?
Дата
Re: Postgresql "FIFO" Tables, How-To ?  (Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de>)
Список pgsql-general
> Frankly I would like to know fist why do you want to do this. Unless there
> are
> good enough practical reasons, I would not recommend this approach at all.
> Can
> you tell us why do you want to do this?

It is for a advanced syslog server product we are currently developing.

The very basic idea is to feed all syslog messages into a DB and allow
easy monitoring and even correlation, we use Postgres as our DB Backend,
in big environments the machine would be hit with dozens of syslog
messages in a second and the messaging tables could grow out of controll
pretty soon (We are talking of up to 10mil messages daily).

We do have a "cleansing" logic build in which runs at certain times and
could delete the records over limit. So FIFO is not a requirement, it was
actually rather a theoretical question.

Regards

Kirill

--