Re: Shared buffers, db transactions commited, and write IO on Solaris

От: Tom Lane
Тема: Re: Shared buffers, db transactions commited, and write IO on Solaris
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Shared buffers, db transactions commited, and write IO on Solaris  (Erik Jones, )
 Re: Shared buffers, db transactions commited, and write IO on Solaris  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: Shared buffers, db transactions commited, and write IO on Solaris  (Erik Jones, )
   Re: Shared buffers, db transactions commited, and write IO on Solaris  ("dimitri k", )
    Re: Shared buffers, db transactions commited, and write IO on Solaris  (Erik Jones, )
     Re: Shared buffers, db transactions commited, and write IO on Solaris  (Dimitri, )
      Re: Shared buffers, db transactions commited, and write IO on Solaris  (Josh Berkus, )
       Re: Shared buffers, db transactions commited, and write IO on Solaris  (Erik Jones, )
        Re: Shared buffers, db transactions commited, and write IO on Solaris  (Josh Berkus, )
         Re: Shared buffers, db transactions commited, and write IO on Solaris  (Erik Jones, )
          Re: Shared buffers, db transactions commited, and write IO on Solaris  (Josh Berkus, )
      Re: Shared buffers, db transactions commited, and write IO on Solaris  (Erik Jones, )
       Re: Shared buffers, db transactions commited, and write IO on Solaris  (Dimitri, )
        Re: Shared buffers, db transactions commited, and write IO on Solaris  (Erik Jones, )
         Re: Shared buffers, db transactions commited, and write IO on Solaris  (Dimitri, )
   Re: Shared buffers, db transactions commited, and write IO on Solaris  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: Shared buffers, db transactions commited, and write IO on Solaris  (Erik Jones, )
   Re: Shared buffers, db transactions commited, and write IO on Solaris  (Greg Smith, )
 Re: Shared buffers, db transactions commited, and write IO on Solaris  (Erik Jones, )
  Re: Shared buffers, db transactions commited, and write IO on Solaris  ("Jim C. Nasby", )

Erik Jones <> writes:
> One very important thing to note here is that the number, or rather
> rate, of disk writes has not changed.  It's the volume of data in
> those writes that has dropped, along with those transaction
> mysterious counts.

Hmm.  I'm suddenly thinking about the stats collector: in existing 8.2.x
releases it's got a bug that causes it to write the collected-stats file
much too often.  If you had done something that would shrink the size
of the stats file, that might explain this observation.  Do you have
stats_reset_on_server_start turned on?

The drop in reported transaction rate is still baffling though.  Are you
sure you're really doing the same amount of work?  Can you estimate what
you think the transaction rate *should* be from a what-are-your-clients-
doing perspective?