Re: libpq should append auth failures, not overwrite

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: libpq should append auth failures, not overwrite
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> writes:
> ISTM that both the hostname and ip should be shown to avoid confusion
> about hosts with multiple ips, esp. as ips are given in any order by the
> dns.
> Also for homogeneity, I'd suggest to always add the server line. If the
> server introduction is inserted in all cases, including when only one host
> is used, hints become partially redundant:
>    server "local.coelho.net" port 5434:
>    could not connect to server: Connection refused
>          Is the server running on host "local.coelho.net" (127.0.0.1) and accepting
>          TCP/IP connections on port 5434?
> This would allow to simplify more hints, which you seem to have done on
> "open read-write session" and "SHOW transaction_read_only" but not others.

As I explained in my comments, the reason I did not do these things
is that I didn't want to change the output for cases in which just a
single host name is given.  I still don't.  People will think it's
change for the sake of change, and they tend not to like that.
The multi-host feature is new enough that I think we can still get away
with changing how errors are reported in those cases ... but what you're
proposing here is to mess with error-reporting behavior that was settled
on decades ago.  I'm not really interested in taking the flak that will
come with that.