Re: Alternative variable length structure

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Alternative variable length structure
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki.takahiro@lab.ntt.co.jp> writes:
> If the new text type wins VARCHAR in many respects,
> I'd like to propose to replace VARCHAR with it.

This idea would impose fairly significant overhead in a number of
places, for instance locating field starts within a tuple.  It didn't
appear to me that you'd even tried to measure that overhead is?
Given that slot_getattr and friends are often hotspots, I don't think
the costs involved can be ignored.