Re: Tips performance under solaris

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Tips performance under solaris
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> So it does I/O directly from the user buffer to disk, bypassing the
> system cache.  I am not sure if that is a good idea because you are not
> using the system buffer cache nor is it allowing writes to be re-ordered
> for optimial performance.

... and, more than likely, the user program is blocked for the whole
physical write operation, not just for long enough to memcpy the data
into a kernel buffer.  Given that info, I find it completely
unsurprising that this "feature" makes Postgres a lot slower.  It seems
that Sun's idea of what a database does has little connection to what
Postgres does.

It might possibly make sense to set this bit on WAL writes, but not on
writes to data files.