Re: Admin catalog setup

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Admin catalog setup
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
ken.zito@tmctechnologies.com writes:
> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/adminpack.html

> This is the script shown on the website:

> int8 pg_catalog.pg_file_write(fname text, data text, append bool)
> bool pg_catalog.pg_file_rename(oldname text, newname text, archivename text)
> bool pg_catalog.pg_file_rename(oldname text, newname text)
> bool pg_catalog.pg_file_unlink(fname text)
> setof record pg_catalog.pg_logdir_ls()
> /* Renaming of existing backend functions for pgAdmin compatibility */
> int8 pg_catalog.pg_file_read(fname text, data text, append bool)
> bigint pg_catalog.pg_file_length(text)
> int4 pg_catalog.pg_logfile_rotate()

My goodness, that's an embarrassingly bad excuse for actual documentation,
isn't it.  I'm surprised this has been there so long and no one's tried to
improve it.  Maybe I will.

> It states that it should be run as a superuser. I am new to postgresql. I
> ran these step because I will be using pgadmin3. I ran the scripts in psql
> as myself who is a superuser. I got nothing back from these commands. How
> can I check if it ran correctly?

It didn't, because those are just function prototypes not SQL commands.
(If you'd added a semicolon at the end, you'd have gotten a syntax error,
but if you didn't then psql is probably still waiting for you to complete
the command.)  What you are supposed to do to install adminpack, these
days, is say "CREATE EXTENSION adminpack;".

FWIW, though I'm not at all familiar with pgAdmin, I'd have guessed that
it could/would do this for you.