Re: WEIRD! postmaster: segfault with sub select??!

От Alban Hertroys
Тема Re: WEIRD! postmaster: segfault with sub select??!
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 3 Jan 2010, at 9:31, Reto wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm facing a strange problem with a relatively simple sub select
> whereas everything else runs perfect on this machine (PG 8.4.2 @
> Fedora 12, Core2 E4600, 4GB, 2 x 320GB).
>
> # SELECT DISTINCT name FROM bbr_parts WHERE id IN (SELECT part_id FROM
> bbr_v_office_to_parts WHERE office_id=39 AND office_type=9);

>        This probably means the server terminated abnormally
>        before or while processing the request.

Did you verify the problem is indeed a segmentation fault? There are other reasons backend processes terminate, for
examplethe OS doing silly things. I'd check that your hardware is working properly and that you don't have things like
memoryovercommit (I believe that's what Linux calls it) turned on.

> When nothing else helps, I will downgrade from PostgreSQL 8.4.2 to
> 8.3.7. Thank you for your comments.

If that helps, then that's a strong pointer to a bug in Postgres or in a stored procedure in your application. There
aretons of people running sub-queries on 8.4 though, so I strongly doubt Postgres is to blame here.

Alban Hertroys

!DSPAM:737,4b40e6e69954031810539!