Re: New vacuum option to do only freezing

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: New vacuum option to do only freezing
Дата
Re: New vacuum option to do only freezing  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 3:47 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> No.  I'm thinking there should be exactly one test of index_cleanup
>> in this logic, and what it would be is along the lines of ...

> I'm not sure that's correct.  If you do that, it'll end up in the
> non-tupgone case, which might try to freeze a tuple that should've
> been removed.  Or am I confused?

If we're failing to remove it, and it's below the desired freeze
horizon, then we'd darn well better freeze it instead, no?

Since we know that the tuple only just became dead, I suspect
that the case would be unreachable in practice.  But the approach
you propose risks violating the invariant that all old tuples
will either be removed or frozen.