Re: We really ought to do something about O_DIRECT and data=journalled on ext4

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: We really ought to do something about O_DIRECT and data=journalled on ext4
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 11/30/2010 10:09 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> We should wait for the outcome of the discussion about whether to change
>> the default wal_sync_method before worrying about this.

> we've just had a significant PGX customer encounter this with the latest
> Postgres on Redhat's freshly released flagship product. Presumably the
> default wal_sync_method will only change prospectively.

I don't think so.  The fact that Linux is changing underneath us is a
compelling reason for back-patching a change here.  Our older branches
still have to be able to run on modern OS versions.  I'm also fairly
unclear on what you think a fix would look like if it's not effectively
a change in the default.

(Hint: this *will* be changing, one way or another, in Red Hat's version
of 8.4, since that's what RH is shipping in RHEL6.)