Re: Date input changed in 7.4 ?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Date input changed in 7.4 ?
Дата
Re: Date input changed in 7.4 ?  (Alvaro Herrera Munoz <alvherre@dcc.uchile.cl>)
Список pgsql-hackers
"Mendola Gaetano" <mendola@bigfoot.com> writes:
> May I also suggest to change in date.c the 3 generic error:
>     "invalid input syntax for date: "
> with more comprensive messages ?

That's easier said than done; there are enough different valid syntaxes
that it's not always obvious what the user's intent was.  (Indeed, the
reason for this change was exactly that the code was guessing wrong too
much of the time.)  See also the thread at
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2003-08/msg00113.php

I'm currently thinking about reporting "invalid syntax" if
ParseDateTime() fails and "invalid field value" if the various Decode()
routines fail, but I'm quite unsure that that will be helpful ...