Re: Locales and Encodings

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Locales and Encodings
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Am Freitag, 12. Oktober 2007 schrieb Gregory Stark:
>> It would make Postgres inconsistent and less integrated with the rest of
>> the OS. How do you explain that Postgres doesn't follow the system's
>> configurations and the collations don't agree with the system collations?

> We already have our own encoding support (for better or worse), and I don't
> think having one's own locale support would be that much different.

Well, yes it would be, because encodings are pretty well standardized;
there is not likely to be any user-visible difference between one
platform's idea of UTF8 and another's.  This is very very far from being
the case for locales.  See for instance the recent thread in which we
found out that "en_US" locale has utterly different sort orders on
Linux and OS X.