Re: Interpreting vacuum verbosity

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Interpreting vacuum verbosity
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Ed L." <pgsql@bluepolka.net> writes:
> If I see VACUUM ANALYZE VERBOSE output like this...

> INFO:  --Relation public.foo--
> INFO:  Index idx_foo_bar: Pages 219213; Tuples 28007: Deleted 9434.
>         CPU 17.05s/4.58u sec elapsed 3227.62 sec.

> ...am I correct in reading this to say that it took more than 53 minutes
> (3227 secs) to get 17 seconds of CPU time?  Is this an indicator of
> possible I/O contention?

More like "your disk drives are being pounded into the ground" ?

It's hard to evaluate this without knowing what else is going on in your
system at the same time.  In general a pure VACUUM process *ought* to be
I/O bound.  But without any additional data it's hard to say if 200:1
CPU vs I/O ratio is reasonable or not.  Were other things happening at
the same time, and if so did they seem bogged down?  What sort of
hardware is this on anyway?