Re: [GENERAL] Can't Build 7.3.4 on OS X

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Can't Build 7.3.4 on OS X
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> Peter, do you remember that?

> BE_DLLLIBS; see Makefile.cygwin for example.  (AIX has a similar
> requirement, but handles it differently for bizarre reasons.)

Right, thanks.

> Personally, I think the two-level namespace feature is the opposite of
> useful and we should stick with -flat_namespace, but I might have to give
> in in the interest of having PostgreSQL behave like other packages on that
> system.

What do you have against the two-level namespace stuff?  I find the
arguments at
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/ReleaseNotes/DeveloperTools/TwoLevelNamespaces.html
moderately convincing.  It doesn't seem like linking a symbol from
library A instead of the expected library B would ever be a good idea.
And I read the document as warning that Apple isn't promising there will
never be name conflicts across standard libraries.

It is kind of a PITA to have to be careful to link a shlib against
everything it will use at runtime, but since we have some other
supported platforms where that's required anyway, we don't really have
a choice about maintaining the code to do it.  Given that, I'm actually
kind of attracted to converting the Darwin port to become a platform
where that's required, because Darwin is a platform that I have easy
access to and test on fairly regularly (when my laptop is working,
anyway ;-)).  We'd be less likely to suffer bit rot in this respect
if the Darwin port required it too.