Re: statically compiling postgres and problem with initdb

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: statically compiling postgres and problem with initdb
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au> writes:
> On 1/07/2011 5:11 PM, mona attariyan wrote:
>> I'm using Postgres to evaluate a research tool and the tool doesn't work
>> with dynamic libraries. That's why I need to compile it statically.

> For your purposes, you'll have to modify PostgreSQL to support being
> built statically.

It might be easier to rip out the functionality that expects loadable
libraries to work.  I think you could probably get through initdb if you
just disabled creation of encoding-conversion functions and text search
dictionaries (try #ifdef'ing out the relevant sections of initdb.c).

Of course, you'll end up with a pretty crippled version of PG --- no
encoding conversions, no text search, no procedural languages --- but
maybe that's enough for what you want to do.  If it's not, then as Craig
says, you're looking at some pretty major work to bind those pieces into
the executable statically.