Re: feature proposal ...

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: feature proposal ...
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>> So we could refute this argument by just not making the permission check for
>> CREATE TEMP VIEW.

> This is the first time I've ever heard of CREATE TEMP VIEW. What's the point
> of it since you can always directly do:
>   SELECT * FROM (...)
> ?

Separation of concerns, for one thing: the code using the view need not
know the exact contents of the select, or perhaps not even have
permissions to access the underlying tables.  (Think of a temp view
created by a SECURITY DEFINER function for instance.)  In this
particular case it gives us separation of concerns in a different way,
ie, we don't have to figure out a way to force-fit the complete syntax
of SELECT inside a COPY command.