Re: Makefiles don't seem to remember to rebuild everything anymore

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Makefiles don't seem to remember to rebuild everything anymore
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> writes:
> I suppose that you are not using automatic dependency mode, so you are
> seeing the change just now with the recent introduction of global
> .SECONDARY.

True.

> This is working correctly, as far as make is concerned.  There is no
> configuration knob in make that says, build all the files you can think
> of even though they are not required for the target I gave you.

Meh.  I don't agree that parser/gram.o is "not required" when I'm asking
to build the postgres executable.  The fact that making the latter
actually fails, as per Pavan's observation, should convince you of that
too.

Now perhaps this is not make's fault so much as a lack of adequate
dependency specifications.  It may be that we can still use .SECONDARY
if we add the $(OBJS) lists as explicit targets of "make all" in backend
directories, but I'm not sure how invasive that would be.