Re: Review: B-Tree emulation for GIN

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Review: B-Tree emulation for GIN
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> writes:
> Also, if extractQuery is non-strict, shouldn't we call it and see if it
> returns some useful keys?

Perhaps.  One risk factor for approaching it that way is that there are
probably a lot of opclasses out there that haven't bothered to mark
these functions strict, since it's never mattered before.  (A handy
example is that the brand new btree_gin opclasses did not bother, as
submitted; though in a fit of paranoia I made them do so before
committing.)  If the extractQuery function isn't actually guarding
against this, you'll get a crash.

That's not a showstopper reason not to change, of course, but it does
mean that I'd like to see an actual use case for a non-strict GIN index
operator before taking any risk.  Note that IS NULL isn't an operator,
so even if we were to try to support it in GIN, that would be a
different code path (just as it is in btree).