Re: Bug in pg_describe_object, patch v2

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Bug in pg_describe_object, patch v2
Дата
Re: Bug in pg_describe_object, patch v2  (Andreas Karlsson <andreas@proxel.se>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Read the CREATE OPERATOR CLASS source code. �(It likely would be best to
>> refactor that a bit so it would expose some way to obtain the implied
>> defaults --- I don't think that's done explicitly now, and it's
>> certainly not exported from opclasscmds.c.)

> I didn't say I *couldn't* take the time to understand this; I said I
> think it'd be more clear to more people if we just printed the types
> all the time.

No, it would just be useless noise that would confuse most people,
especially since the default behavior varies across AMs.  Please observe
that not one single one of the contrib modules has any occasion to
specify non-default amprocleft/right --- that should give you a fix on
how useful it is to worry about what they are.  If it weren't for
binary-compatibility kluges we wouldn't need the ability to specify
these at all.

But I can read the handwriting on the wall: if I want this done right,
I'm going to have to do it myself.