Re: Pgoutput not capturing the generated columns

От Euler Taveira
Тема Re: Pgoutput not capturing the generated columns
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 1, 2023, at 3:47 AM, Rajendra Kumar Dangwal wrote:
With decoderbufs and wal2json the connector is able to capture the generated column `full_name` in above example. But with pgoutput the generated column was not captured.

wal2json materializes the generated columns before delivering the output. I
decided to materialized the generated columns in the output plugin because the
target consumers expects a complete row.

Is this a known limitation of pgoutput plugin? If yes, where can we request to add support for this feature?

I wouldn't say limitation but a design decision.

The logical replication design decides to compute the generated columns at
subscriber side. It was a wise decision aiming optimization (it doesn't
overload the publisher that is *already* in charge of logical decoding).

Should pgoutput provide a complete row? Probably. If it is an option that
defaults to false and doesn't impact performance.

The request for features should be done in this mailing list.

--
Euler Taveira