Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] Initdb failing for no apparent reason in 8.0.0beta4 on windows

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] Initdb failing for no apparent reason in 8.0.0beta4 on windows
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
"Steve McWilliams" <smcwilliams@EmprisaNetworks.com> writes:
> Nevermind, I found out what this was.  Turned out that the customer
> machine in question had particularly heavy security settings and so the
> enetaware account did not have permission to write into the directory
> where it was trying to create PGDATA.  Once I widened the settings on the
> parent directory then it worked fine.  Kind of odd that inidb.exe just
> fails silently when this is the case however.

CVS tip says something:

creating directory /home/postgres/testversion/data ... initdb: could not create directory
"/home/postgres/testversion/data":Permission denied
$

I believe this was fixed here:

    * src/bin/initdb/initdb.c: Clean up initdb's error handling so that
    it prints something more useful than just 'failed' when there's a
    problem.  Per gripe from Chris Albertson.

The shell-script version of initdb relied heavily on the programs it
invoked (mkdir, in this case) to print error messages when something
went wrong, so the initial transliteration into a C program was
definitely on the strong silent side :-(