Re: Nested Schemata, in a Standard-Compliant Way?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Nested Schemata, in a Standard-Compliant Way?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Raymond Brinzer <ray.brinzer@gmail.com> writes:
> So, for example, I'd like to be able to say something like this:

> SELECT * FROM /projects/contacts/people;

I looked into this many years ago.  (The reason why pg_namespace is called
that and not pg_schema is exactly that I thought it might someday include
sub-schemas.)  I don't think it's possible to do it without huge ambiguity
problems, unless you introduce some separator other than dot, as indeed
you suggest here.  But I also don't think that using some other separator
is a good idea.  There's not that much free punctuation available (unless
you want to step outside core ASCII, which'd bring its own problems).
Pretty much every character that isn't otherwise nailed down is allowed
as an operator character, meaning that redefining it is very likely to
break somebody's application or extension.  We had huge problems even
with taking over the => digraph, never mind single characters.

In the end the functionality-versus-problems ratio is just not going
to be very good.