Re: SQL compatibility reminder: MySQL vs PostgreSQL

От Wolfgang Wilhelm
Тема Re: SQL compatibility reminder: MySQL vs PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
+1

Isn´t that a good time to think to put that question into the list of things PostgreSQL doesn´t want to do?

Cheers

Von: Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>
An: francois.perou@free.fr
CC: Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>; Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au>; pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org; dpage@pgadmin.org
Gesendet: Samstag, den 6. März 2010, 22:01:06 Uhr
Betreff: Re: [HACKERS] SQL compatibility reminder: MySQL vs PostgreSQL

François Pérou wrote:

> My opinion is that PostgreSQL should accept any MySQL syntax and return
> warnings. I believe that we should access even innodb syntax and turn it
> immediately into PostgreSQL tables. This would allow people with no
> interest in SQL to migrate from MySQL to PostgreSQL without any harm.

This is just fantasy. Doing this will destabilize Postgres, cost us hugely in maintenance effort and LOSE us users.

If we do this why the heck should we stop there? Why shouldn't we replicate the broken behaviour of every major database out there?

It's really time for you to stop making this suggestion, once and for all. It is just not going to happen. Moreover MySQL appears to be fracturing into a bunch of different forks, so why now, of all times, would we want to adopt its broken syntax?

cheers

andrew

To make changes to your subscription: