Re: spacewalk and postgres

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: spacewalk and postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> writes:
> I'm just starting to take a look at Spacewalk as a potential solution
> for managing an internal cloud of linux servers...   this is the
> opensource version of Redhat's Satellite.     Traditionally its been
> hosted on an Oracle database, but they now also support PostgreSQL, but
> with this caveat...

>     Please note that the functionality of Spacewalk on PostgreSQL is
>     limited and sooner than later you may hit Internal Server Error.

> anyways, wondering if anyone in the postgres community is working with
> this project to help smooth things out?

I'm keeping an eye on it internally to Red Hat, but not really
contributing any significant number of cycles ATM.  My understanding of
the status is that the core stuff works but there are still a lot of
Oracle dependencies in lesser-used nooks and crannies of the software.
They could really use help from people in finding, and even more
importantly patching, those Oracle-isms.  Satellite/Spacewalk is a
remarkably large code base, so it's going to be awhile before the last
such bug is gone.  If you want some kind of promise that you won't hit
any gotchas, you shouldn't use it ... but if you're willing to help fix
whatever you hit, I believe it's usable.

You might want to scan the list archives at
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/spacewalk-list