Re: Trim the Fat (Was: Re: Open 7.3 items )

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Trim the Fat (Was: Re: Open 7.3 items )
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
nconway@klamath.dyndns.org (Neil Conway) writes:
> Mentioning that on -hackers would have been nice -- I've spent a while
> this week hacking autoconf / Makefiles to integrate libpqxx...

Marc's opinion is not the same thing as a done deal ;-) --- we still
have to discuss this, and if someone's already doing the integration
work I think that's an important factor.

> If we're going to start removing interfaces, I'd vote for the removal of
> perl5 & libpq++ as well as libpqxx.

Agreed on that point.  We shouldn't be promoting old, crufty interface
libraries when there are better ones available.

I would personally prefer to see libpqxx integrated now, and then we
could plan to remove libpq++ in a release or two (after giving people
a reasonable opportunity to switch over).  If anyone still cares about
libpq++ at that point, it could be given a home on gborg.

One reason for wanting to integrate libpqxx is that I don't think we'll
find out anything about its portability until we get a lot of people
trying to build it.  If it's a separate distro that won't happen quickly.