Re: Fixing parallel make of libpq

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Fixing parallel make of libpq
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 2020-01-09 15:17, Tom Lane wrote:
>> 1) Changing from an "|"-style dependency to a plain dependency seems
>> like a semantics change.  I've never been totally clear on the
>> difference though.  I think Peter introduced our use of the "|" style,
>> so maybe he can comment.

> If you have a phony target as a prerequisite of a real-file target, you
> should make that an order-only ("|") prerequisite.  Otherwise the
> real-file target rules will *always* be run, on account of the phony
> target prerequisite.

OK, got that.  But that doesn't directly answer the question of whether
it's wrong to use a phony target as an order-only prerequisite of
another phony target.  Grepping around for other possible issues,
I see that you recently added

update-unicode: | submake-generated-headers submake-libpgport
    $(MAKE) -C src/common/unicode $@
    $(MAKE) -C contrib/unaccent $@

Doesn't that also have parallel-make hazards, if libpq does?