Re: PDF builds broken again

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PDF builds broken again
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> ! pdfTeX error (ext4): \pdfendlink ended up in different nesting level than \pd

> Additional point of info - the -US pdf's do build on this version,
> just not the -A4.

> And with even more of those entries about overfull hbox, so clearly
> that was not the actual breakage.

Yeah.  What this actually is is the symptom of <link> text crossing a page
boundary.  The patch you made did not fix the problem (because there's no
hyperlink anywhere in that para); you just moved the problematic line
pair, which must be somewhere below here, up or down so it didn't fall
across a page break.

A more robust fix would be to identify the para where the problem actually
is and re-word it so that the link doesn't cross a *line* boundary (in
either US or A4).  That makes it safe as long as that particular para
doesn't get reworded in future; whereas with what you did, addition or
subtraction of a line anywhere in a pretty broad range could resurrect
the issue.

Of course, it would be a lot better if the toolchain didn't have this
limitation (or at least managed to report it more usefully).  I'm not
holding my breath for that to happen though.