Re: getting rid of SnapshotNow

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: getting rid of SnapshotNow
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> 2. snapshot-self-not-now-v1.patch changes several uses of SnapshotNow
>> to use SnapshotSelf instead.  These include pgrowlocks(),
>> pgstat_heap(), and get_actual_variable_range().

> Tom proposed that we use SnapshotDirty for this case; let me just ask
> whether there are any security concerns around that.  pgstattuple only
> displays aggregate information so I think that's OK, but I wonder if
> the value found in get_actual_variable_range() can leak out in EXPLAIN
> output or whatever.  I can't particularly think of any reason why that
> would actually matter, but I've generally shied away from exposing
> data written by uncommitted transactions, and this would be a step in
> the other direction.  Does this worry anyone else or am I being
> paranoid?

As far as get_actual_variable_range() is concerned, an MVCC snapshot
would probably be the thing to use anyway; I see no need for the planner
to be using estimates that are "more up to date" than that.  pgrowlocks
and pgstat_heap() might be in a different category.

> But thinking about it a little more, I wonder why
> get_actual_variable_range() is using a snapshot at all.  Presumably
> what we want there is to find the last index key, regardless of the
> visibility of the heap tuple to which it points.

No, what we ideally want is to know the current variable range that
would be seen by the query being planned.